Wednesday, June 25, 2008

shorts

Here I am, deciding to go away somewhere with Elliot, but the pair of shorts I have been wearing around the house have a big food stain or something on the leg. I grab another clean pair and slip them on. I'm not talking about denim or shorts with a zipper and in need of using a belt, but the kind with a draw string inside the front. No need to tie the string, as they are still tied from last time and the elastic is so nice and stretchy, I just slip them up over my ample belly with no problem and all is well. I get in the car and arrive at my destination. As I am walking around I find the need to casually slip my hands into my pockets and walk around with them there, but something didn't feel right. I find out then, the openings are the wrong direction. This when I now when I also notice why my two best friends dangling below inside haven't felt quite right for the past few minutes. My shorts are on backwards. I immediately looked around to see if anyone noticed my struggle to get my hands into my pockets. "Paranoia. Paranoia, Paranoiahhhhh, Paranoia !! (sung to the tune of that song, "Tradition").

This is when I had images of when President Skroob (Mel Brooks) in the movie Spaceballs, who went through the transporter and found his head on backwards. They reversed the beam and straightened him out, but there is no beam here to reverse for me and had to live with it.

The remedy would be so easy if at a mall, a store or somewhere at a burger joint and could slip into the into the closest potty and reverse things. At places like those, I would find out quickly in advance as soon as I got out of the car when I try to slip my keys or wallet in my pocket. Can easily get away in those cases and make the necessary change ASAP, but what if out in a park somewhere with Elliot like the last time I took him to one? Now as I look like his Pappy, I stick out like sore thumb already playing with a kid his age, while he had me playing all his pretend games with him with a lot of other young parents watching us as I climbed over all the playground with him. All I wanted to do is not let anyone notice my shorts were on wrong. I just avoided to not reach in my pocket for anything. We were at the the Mohnton Memorial Park, a huge park always packed full of kids and parents. Luckily I didn't have my dark blue shorts on, the ones with the light blue stripe running down each side. That would have been even more obvious tan I would want to describe. Glad they were the ones that that had food on the one leg that I changed out of. My two best friends dangling below inside somehow became comfy and obviously adapted, but I wasn't. It's like I wanted to crawl under a rock and hide. I was thinking how much of a goof this was, almost as like a woman putting her bra on backwards...lol. I don't think anyone really noticed and if they did, they must have had a good laugh after they left the park.

Made sure to go straight home and made the necessary correction as soon as I got in the door. I'll be paying more attenyion next time. So far so good. That was weeks ago and all has been fineto date.

This one goes down as one of the anals (annuls) pun definiteliy intended here as to what happened last year while on the hike on the Appalacian trail after Madelaines's dedication. There is a similar story that I can share that happened when I took Elliot to Toys R Us on his birthday a few years ago, to let him pick out his own gift. If interested, let me know. Elliot was there to witness the whole thing. Lets just say I had another pair of underwear lost other than the one 50 feet off the trail last year.

Thanks for visiting. Now all of you can go potty, and make sure your underwear and shorts are on correctly. Women, your bras also...lol.

Love you and adore you all.

1 comment:

Nate said...

I have a some shorts of the slip-on kind, and I refuse to buy them without obvious asymmetry. The boys get cranky if they're backwards.