Friday, July 4, 2008

Juty 4 and the evil the plastic wrap

Everything started out so good. Elliot and I got out of bed and we ran to Redners. I told him the place should be empty as it is a holiday and there probably wouldn't be a lot of people there. We pulled into the parking lot and the place looked like the weather forecast was calling for a snowstorm. We got inside and the place was mobbed. It almost looked like a free for all, people scrambling all over the place. My first though was, what kind of goofs do their shopping on July 4th, then realizing I was one of the goofs, too...lol. They were running a lot of specials on meat and cookout items, so I could see why. I got to take advantage, too and have no complaints. The registers were fully manned and we waited at the checkout line no longer than any other time.

After we got home, we played a bit and I decided I'd better get the chicken thighs and hamburger into the freezer. I thought I had some small freezer bags, but all I had was plastic wrap. I started wrapping the chicken and you you have to remember you are reading from someone who can't open anything from any cardboard container without damaging it somehow. The plastic wrap was no different. Once you bend or damage that little cutting edge when you open it for the first time, you will know how every time you try to tear the plastic off, the thing will become a tangle mess for the life of the entire roll. Well, I did it a few weeks ago and paid for it today. That stuff no matter what I ever did, no damaged metal cutter on the edge or what, that stuff always somehow ends up sticking together and pretty much hate the stuff. I found that tearing off about three feet, is enough to wrap almost anything.

Elliot came out into the kitchen while I was wrapping the chicken thighs. He looked at them and said they looked really good. I asked if he was hungry and he said he was. I told him I have a chicken breast in the freezer and will make him a late lunch. Lo and behold, I went to the freezer and realized I made him the last chicken breast last weekend. He and I are breast men all the way in the chick department, but I like the thighs more from the feathered chick variety, but he still like his chicken breasts. I managed to make him a thigh man for this afternoon.

So all is well and I'm waiting to wrap the hamburger after I get a supply of small freezer bags tomorrow. Would be to overwhelming to use the plastic wrap. Probably would use like a half a mile of it for just 6 pounds of hamburger.

Happy fourth of July everyone.

No comments: