Monday, July 28, 2008

Left or right?

No, not speaking politically here, just about what predominant side are we, left or right handed.

I'm working shutdown and working with the bricklayers as I did last year. We were out on a job today, and my job was to smear mortar with a trowel onto cracks in the furnaces we were were working on. There were six of us getting in the way of each other. Normally, only two guys work on a furnace and we were bumping into each other and with four other guys around, we were having fun and commenting on each other's work. As I was patching away, I was doing my best to make things look good and it apparently was doing better than I had to. All I was doing was to make things look smooth and one guy jokingly commented that I must have had cake decorating experience down at Giant at their bakery...lol. Then as I was working, I was switching the trowel between both my right and left hands. I unconsciously do this as it is easier than turning my whole body from left to right and a lot less awkward for me and don't realize I am doing it. The boss showed up and as I must have had the trowel in my left hand at the time and I heard him say, "Did I just see that guy hold a trowel in his left hand?" As it was back in my right hand, I still knew he was referring to me and I just said my usual line when I here a comment like that, "My brain just can't make up it's mind."...lol. They all got a good laugh, but it got me to think about all this. They must have some kind of inside joke about this left hand trowels stuff and I have to ask to see what he meant sometime later.

So what makes a lefty or a righty, anyway? What causes a young kid to pick up a pencil or crayon for the first time with the left hand, like I did when I was a wee little lad? I remember Nana asking the experts (whoever they were at that time) and she was told to just let me go. What causes a kid to grab a fork or spoon for the first time with the left hand? She got the same response. Now what gets me, why do I do almost everything else with my right hand, just a few with my left and others with both. Is it true that my brain really can't make up it's mind?

With sports, I was never really was much as far a participant, but have made some interesting observations. Whenever I played baseball as a kid, I was the standard right handed player. I batted right handed and threw a ball right handed, with the catching glove on the left hand. Here's the "catch", yes the pun is truly intended...lol. Whenever I messed around in street hockey, I liked to be the goal tender. The goalie holds a goal stick in one hand and a catching glove in the other. I found it somehow comfortable to hold the goal stick with my left hand and the catching glove on the right, opposite of wearing a catching glove when playing baseball. I noticed this oddity way back when I was a goalie in high school gym classes when we played lacrosse. I always liked playing goal and I held the stick on my left hand and glove on my right. Either way, I found I with both using the left and right hand while catching with both those sports, my reflexes were equal on both sides with my catching hand.

I find that I can do many other things with either hand and we all know that that term for this is ambidextrous, but if you put a pencil in my hand and tell me to sign my name, it would look like someone as out of first grade. As far as eating with a fork in my right hand, I can do it, but will still get the same stains on my t-shirts as I do with my left....lol. Got many stained shirts to prove that. I sometimes think I'm the guy who made the manufactures come up with the idea for the product, Tide-To-Go....lol.

Now about musical instruments. I mess with the drums and tried them both ways. Me? right handed for sure. You can set up a drum kit either way and right handed is me. They make right and left hand guitars for those who need it and Never played one much, but feel I'd be right handed. Always wondered how a leftie would ever play a keyboard. Ever hear of a a left handed keyboard?....lol. I always picture a person planing a keyboard with croseed arms....lol.

Sighned, truly crossed up....lol.

No comments: