Friday, June 6, 2008

"Open the pod door, Hal."

It's getting late on a Friday night. Time for all the weird stuff to show up on TV, but I have a little Twilight Zone story of my own. I have many issues I can't wait to rant about and have been waiting for the right time. Sorry to keep any of you in suspense and hope you all are still checking things out here. Now that I'm almost ready to post more whacky thoughts, this one came along so suddenly tonight and has beaten all the others to the blog. Yes, my computer IS alive....lol.

I decided to download a CD, Queen's, "A Night At the Opera". I went on Widows Media Player, put in the CD, hit the "rip" tab and casually sat back and watched each song load one by one. Then I noticed that the cover of the Cd (you all know, the one that is displayed when you are on line), was not A Night At the Opera, but "Queen's Greatest Hits". Then I noticed the song line-up was also from Queens Greatest Hits. Now is when the theme and the narraration from the old sixties Outer Limits Tv show began running through my head....."Please do not attempt to adjust your set, we control the horizontal, we control the vertical, we can change the image to blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity"....and so on.

Whatever was going on here, I have no idea. Anyway, the songs that did download at least were from the Night of the Opera Cd. Thank goodness, because if songs showed up on my computer from some other Cd than the one in the drive, I really would have considered rousting some poor preacher out of bed somewhere to perform an exorcism or something (or just simply pull the plug and hope the thing still wouldn't keep running).

Of course it was just a minor electronic glitch on-line and after the songs were downloaded, I had to edit all the titles of the songs, but could not change the picture of the CD cover. Guess these things happen. Okay, stand by in a few days for some other log overdue items I would like to share.

Take care everyone and don't forget to say goodnight to your computer. It may have feelings, too.....lol. Don't forget the line, "Open the pod door, Hal" (from "2001, A Space Odyssey").

Goodnight moon, goodnight picture on the wall, goodnight computer...lol.

Time for bed. Goodnight to you all.

1 comment:

Nate said...

Sometimes I have a terrible time with Windows Media Player mis-identifying CDs. There are ways to get it right before you do the ripping, sometimes anyway, but it's one of those pain-in-the-neck things that I always forget how to do between the times I need it. And for a lot of classical CDs, especially two disk sets, it's simply Manual City or nowhere.