Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Fathers Day

I created this blog mostly for everyone to see the silly side of me, have some fun and maybe help others get through the hum drums after having a bad day or just to have the same fun reading what I have to say as it as much fun for me to write. It will be rare to see an entry like this one again, but sometimes it is nice to share the serious things and the feelings I have about those moments as well.

In all the years as a dad, this last Fathers Day was one that I have to put on the top of my list of favorites. It was quite a surprise that I got to be with my entire family for the evening. It is always nice to be with everyone in the family and only happens a few times each year. Many families seem to only get together when bad things happen, like a death in the family or when one is injured or sick and is in the hospital. Many families get together and the tension in the air is so thick that one can almost cut it with a knife. I'm lucky that even though I live alone, there are still those moments when we all get together when the opportunities arise under good circumstances. That is when the love is in the air and so thick, that it can be cut with a knife, also. That is how it felt for me on Fathers Day

As we all sat there eating and joking around, I could not help but steal gazes at that foxy lady sitting way at the other corner of the table away from me. So close but yet so far. So unlike in long days past when we would both sit side by side and fight (lovingly) for elbow room as I'm a lefty and we'd have fun bumping and jousting with our arms when sitting at a dinner table and still somehow avoid each other's food to fall on our laps. A thought ran through my mind and it took all the restraint I had not to say what I'm about to say here at that moment. I wanted to stand up and say it, but felt it better to be left unsaid. As they say, discretion is the better part of valor, so I thought I would wait and write it here later.

This is what I would have said:

"We all know there is a special day to honor mothers and today it is to honor the fathers. However, we wouldn't have Fathers Day unless there was a mother there, also. There could have been nobody better than you to have the kids we have had together and it is now that I am the one who is honored, to tell you how much I'm in love with you and without you, Fathers Day would have no meaning without you being the one with me to have had them with." Then ending with a simple, but very meaningful, "Thank you."

Short, sweet and all so true.

True love is something that has no bounds, distance or timeline. Once it is there, it nothing can take it away once it is in one's heart. I have it, so thankful that I do and glad I have that love for "all" of you within me in those special ways meant for each of you.

Thank you all again for a great Fathers Day.

No comments: