Thursday, April 24, 2008

What turns people off of sports?

Professional players; judgement calls. Tonight was a typical example. As a Flyer's fan for 36 years, I've seen this scenario more than anything else in any sport.

Flyers winning game in third period. Penalty called against Flyers (replay shows no penalty occurred). Other team ties the game. Other team wins in overtime, fa la la la la, la la la la. (put the "fa la la's" after the previous three other lines and you have a great song to sing at a game during the Christmas season...lol) Yes, hockey is faster than when I first began watching, with lots of speed, lots of teams, lots of action, high ticket prices, but one thing hasn't changed, the officiating. It's as disgusting as ever and I was once told by someone that it is why (she knows who she is) never liked sports. For me, hockey will be fun to watch no matter what, but it has gotten very old as far as the Flyers being in the same situation over and over as mentioned above. I can see once in a while, but a half a dozen times each season?????

The Flyers are a good team and if they lose this series with Montreal, they still showed how a team can come back after their worst season ever. I'd like to see Montreal go all the way this year. Would be nice to see one of those good old oroiginal teams get into the Stanley Cup finals again. Sorry Duck's.

1 comment:

Nate said...

TV goes pretty far in ruining it, too. I haven't liked watching football on TV since college, where I got to watch about twenty great NCAA Division III games from whatever row I managed to sit in before the game. I enjoyed the sport much more when I could see everything in context and how important all the things you don't see in a camera shot are for how the game unfolds. The same is true for every sport I've watched.