Friday, April 4, 2008

My first introduction

Hi everyone and welcome to my blog.

I thought I would start off tonight by asking a question. Do you have any idea of how many dishes you have? I find out how many I have when the cupboard is empty and the sink is overflowing. I'm on my second sink full tonight have a third on in the waitng. I have a system when I do the dishes at this level. I do all the plates and bowls first, dig them out one at a time and use the scubber on them and rinse them off (while the sink is still full of the other things), like pots and pans and all those plastic containers that have built up from lunches that I took to work. While the plates and bowls sit to dry in the dish drainer, the water had gotten cold from all the rinsing. I grab a towel dry them by hand and place them back in the cupboard so there is now room for more. By then the hot water heater has caught up and ready for more action. This is when you discover light at the end of the tunnel. Now that you can see the bottom of the sink, that is where you find old ziti pasta from when you drained them through a collander three nights earlierand have now swelled up and look like oversized rigatoni, yuck. If lucky enough, they are still white and won't look all fuzzy, with hairy things moving on them like they are some kind of lab experiment. Now it is time to wash those plastic containers, the ones I bring home evey night from my lunches I take to work. I hate those containers (from a washing standpoint) as the water is retained in the rims and seems to take days to evaporate. Same with the lids. Anyway, if ambitious, I'll get out a towel and take a half an hour to dry them off individually. Once past that point, along comes my favorite, the silverwear. Scrubbing each knife, fork and spoon is a nightmare. Sometimes I just stick them in a big bowl and if they look clean, just rinse them all at one time and put them in the dish drainer...lol. After that, the pots and pans are a piece of cake.

It is rare when I let things get to that point, but as a procrastinator, sometimes I let this get out of hand and have to spend a few hours to catch up and pay the price. Nothing better to do on a Friday night, when you have to to work on Saturday, like I have to tomorrow. Off to finish the last sinkload and having the feeing of accompishment after walking by the sink all week and ignoring it. Take care all of you who are reading this and now will not have to walk past the sink each night and feel guilty (until two weeks from now again...lol) Enjoy your weekends and will post something more very soon.

2 comments:

Nate said...

Mmmmm... Dead old food at the bottom. At least your water is cleaner than the dirty dishes now (or at least was last time I was over).

dande1954 said...

How about this one? a sink diver instead of a dumpster diver?...lol. Dead food is always the best. Gotta go dig out a deoderant cap that fell into the toilet this morning (AFTER I already peed)...yuck. Wasn't in the mood first thing n the morning.