Friday, May 9, 2008

an evening at the movies

I just drew the line tonight. No trip to a movie theater for ONE adult and ONE child should cost $30 (snacks included). I can see if we ate a half dozen candy bars, twizzlers, dots, chips or other things that can run up the price that we didn't even look at, BUT a lousy tub of popcorn and two drinks for $14.75?

What can we blame tonight's costs on? Gas prices, corn prices, meat prices, health care, possible extinction of the bald eagle, spotted owls or what? I drew the line and the it's going to be a cold day at the center of the earth before I buy another movie ticket. Well all of you know me better than that and know that's not true, but as one who rarely goes to a theater, spending $30 is no problem now and then. It's just the point of the whole thing. Besides, I'm assuming the center of the earth IS hot and if there are any cold spots, well, I guess I'll be going to the next feature.

I look at it this way. I'd probably end up with a DVD of every movie I'd see in the theaters anyway, so why waste the money to go see every movie that looks interesting? I usually end up with them (a DVD) without going to the theater, so I saved a few bucks. The only movies I have seen for I can't tell you how many years, were mostly with my kids. The last movie mom and I saw together alone was "The Flinstones" (spring of 1994). Mom was also along with "Finding Nemo." Always had a good time and either me or any one of rest have a DVD around somewhere of whatever movies we all saw at some point. Note, all kids sort of movies. Yes, even saw Dudley Doo Right, a very underrated movie and I really like it.

Speed Racer was pretty good, but way too long. There was a lot of action, noise, crashing and all that good race stuff, but many people with little kids left early. Elliot can usually hold out to go potty, but he had to go really bad, potty dance and all, just near the ending during the final climactic race. As soon as the bad guy's car crashed, Elliot told me he knew Speed Racer was going to win and suggested we "get outta here." If this had been a western, his dance could have produced some possible showers...lol. (A rain dance for anyone who doesn't get it). Who knows, maybe that's what the Indian's were really doing in those old days and just had to go while dancing around the fire.

Speaking of going,

Gotta go, I mean just go, not potty...lol

No comments: