Sunday, August 17, 2008

original movies vs. remakes

I just got finished watching the newer version of "The Producers". I really like the new version, but as seeing the original, I was a bit disappointed. I like all the actors that star in the new version, but it is just not the same. The Producers was Mel Brooke's first movie, yes, before Spaceballs and Blazing Saddles. If one didn't ever see the original, they would not be aware of the differences. If they did see the original, maybe they would feel the same way as I do. The remake is very good and follows the original plot, but what is missing most is what happens during the play on stage. The original shows the play in the movie, "Springtime for Hitler" and the antics going on depicted in more detail. To me that is the highlight of the movie. I was never a big Dick Shawn fan, but he played Hitler in the original better than any other actor I could think of. He also played the son of the nagging mother in law on the film, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" and did a great job. Other than that, I never saw him in any other movies and no place on TV, other than talk shows or game shows. in the 70's. His role in both movies were similar. His cool, "Baby, baby", "Daddy-O" persona fit both films. If you would do a search on this guy, I'm sure he was a hit on Broadway.

As "The Producers" was Mel Brook's first movie, he wanted Dustin Hoffman to play in one of the starring roles. He gave Dustin a call and Dustin told Mel he was not available as he was flying to California to audition for a movie with his (Mel's) wife for a new film. It was an audition to star with Anne Bancroft for the movie that became a world hit, "The Graduate." As it was, film history was in he making.

There have been so many remakes of many movies over the years and if I may say, watch the original first. All are entertaining, but always fun to see what the differences are, not only for the technological but to see what the modern movies may have left out in plot . From my perrspective a lot is added to the newer versions, but look for the things that may have been left out.


That is Hollywood, as they say.

2 comments:

Nate said...

For me, the best thing for The Producers would be a re-re-make, where they take everything from both of them-- take all the songs from the new one, put back the things removed from the old one. And let Will Ferrel play Franz Liebkind, becuase it's the only time he's ever actually been funny in a movie.

dande1954 said...

I agree. I'm not a big Will Farrel fan and like your sister, He is more annoying than funny and this will probably be his only funny roll to me.